For those looking to launch conjured up landscapes from reveries to realities, Lehnhoff’s would like to offer a few tips to help your garden come to fruition.
As professional landscaping experts, there are all sorts of elements we can recommend to enhance your outdoor space – water features, hardscaping, multi-textured softscapes, and so forth. But what about the often-made mistakes that we want everyone to avoid? Below, take a look at our top don’ts in the world of landscaping:
- Don’t be Obscure: That is, don’t choose plants that will totally obscure your house. It’s important to consult with knowledgeable professionals who know the anticipated growth of trees and shrubs to prevent you from having to prune and uproot overgrown plants a few years down the road. Let your landscape compliment your home, not overwhelm it.
- Don’t be Afraid to Diversify: Planting too much of the same greenery will mean that your garden is in full bloom at once, shortly thereafter losing pretty blossoms for the rest of the year. Make sure you have a variety of plants that will flower at different times, ensuring a lively landscape no matter the season.
- Don’t Be Lawn Obsessed: Having a luscious lawn even when the climate doesn’t cooperate is a huge drain on your resources. And besides, do you really want to spend your summer Sundays quenching the thirst of your parched grass, standing in the heat with your hose? Incorporating hardscaped areas along with landscape beds filled with low-maintenance plants will cut down on the size of your lawn while increasing your sustainability.
- Don’t Go for the Ivy League Look: While ivy can look quaint and make your home feel like it belongs in an English village, it’s best to avoid letting it take root on your house. Many ivies are fast-growing, meaning they can quickly cover windows, gutters, and before you know it – the entire exterior of your home. Not only that, but it can act as an overpass for pests, especially termites. Contain plants to your yard instead, keeping them grounded in the soil.
- Don’t Hit too Close to Home: Avoid future catastrophes by making sure trees and other large plants aren’t placed too close to your house. Your garden should enrich your home, not serve as a potential threat to it when storms strike or limbs grow old.
- Don’t Bake without a Recipe: In other words, don’t start landscaping if you haven’t yet developed some sort of plan for how you want your yard to ultimately look, even if your resources prevent you from making a million changes all at once. If you don’t know where to begin, consider contacting Lehnhoff’s to help you jumpstart your ideas for your outdoor space. We’re happy to help you make the most of your landscape.
If you have any questions, please contact Lehnhoff’s Landscaping by calling 443.921.5789 or visit LehnoffsLandscaping.com today!
Rob Lehnhoff meets directly with every prospective client to see the space and hear the vision straight from you, the homeowner. Lehnhoff is committed not only to quality work, but to excellent customer service. We guarantee that there will always be a person onsite who can communicate directly with you as well as make any necessary decisions.
In most cases, Rob himself is onsite for the duration of a project. Periodically, during the installation, we sit down with you to ensure that the project is coming along to expectation. This way, we can tweak things along the way if need be. It’s our job to make sure you are happy with the final product.
We have day and evening times available to fit your schedule.