It’s the first day of winter, and it won’t be long now until the first snow falls. For many business owners, snow is a burden they don’t want to deal with. Not only is it time consuming and annoying, but can be a source of injury and in some rare cases, death. Over 1600 people were a victim of heart attacks related to snow removal between 1990 and 2006. If you choose to do snow removal yourself this winter, make sure you follow these handy safety tips.
- First, determine whether or not you are actually healthy enough to tackle the snow. Be aware that the cold raises the risk of heart attacks and other injuries because it constricts blood vessels. If you aren’t regularly exercising, shoveling might not be a good idea.
- Never drink alcohol or eat a heavy meal before shoveling snow. Shoveling is actually quite the workout, and eating a heavy meal beforehand can place a lot of strain on the heart. Drinking alcohol can also make it difficult for people to understand how much strain they’re putting on their body.
- Shovel early and often, and take breaks. It’s a much better idea to try and tackle a winter storm periodically than all at once. For one, it’s easier to remove smaller heaps of snow. Regardless, always make sure you are taking plenty of breaks whenever you pick up the shovel.
- Push the snow, don’t lift. According to The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, it’s better to push the snow than it is to scoop it up. If you must lift the snow, make sure to keep your feet hip-width distance apart and your back straight. Avoid twisting your back to throw the snow.
- Never be afraid to call in the professionals. A professional snow removal team from Lehnhoff’s Landscaping can make shoveling snow a thing of the past. By hiring professional snow removal you can ensure your business is up and running again as soon as possible and with little risk of injury or accidents. Plus, you’ll be able to concentrate on doing what you know best — running your business.
Start Your Next Landscaping Project with Lehnhoff’s Landscaping
Thinking about your next landscaping project? Lehnhoff’s Landscaping offers professional and exceptional outdoor lighting, hardscaping, and landscaping year-round. We also offer dumpster rental, bulk material delivery, and drainage solutions. We serve Baltimore, Chevy Chase, Montgomery County, Clarksville, Howard County, Ellicott City, Kingsville, Bowie, Pasadena, Towson, and many other areas throughout Maryland.