October is the time of the year when landscaping becomes both fun and challenging. Weather starts to change and you will need to get your plants and yard ready for winter. Not only will you want to make sure that your yard is prepared for when it starts to get chilly, but October is also an opportunity to deck out your landscape for Halloween. Here are few tips for landscaping this October.
- Don’t lock the law mower away just yet. If grass is still growing, even at a much slower pace, it should be mowed. Remove leaves from your lawn to avoid mowing problems.
- Remove any old plants and shrubbery that may have fallen onto your lawn. Do a final weeding and overseed to fill out your lawn before winter.
- Collect leaves to create a compost, and store any flower bulbs from your garden. When you dig up annuals add them to your compost pile.
- Bring in any garden pots that won’t be able to survive the colder weather. Empty bird baths and fountains before the first frost.
- If your flower beds have fall into a sad state of disrepair, transform them into a mini graveyard for Halloween. You can buy plastic tombstones, skeletons, and even fresh mounds of dirt to create an eerie atmosphere for visiting trick or treaters.
- Install new lighting fixtures to help guide trick or treaters to your home. Decorate with Halloween themed string lights and ornamental bulbs.
- If you’re looking for something that will add a lot of value to your home, it’s not too late to get started on a hardscape project. Outdoor kitchens and firepits are perfect for entertaining guests for Thursday night football.
- If you’re having drainage problems in your yard, build a retaining wall now before winter. Melting snow will only compound these problems and cause damage to your home.
- Upgrade your front porch or portico to provide a more welcoming area for trick or treaters this Halloween.
- Cover ponds with netting to catch falling leaves and prevent debris buildup.
Start Your Next Landscaping Project with Lehnhoff’s Landscaping
Thinking about your next landscaping project? Lehnhoff’s Landscaping offers professional and exceptional outdoor lighting, hardscaping, and landscaping year-round. We also offer dumpster rental, bulk material delivery, and drainage solutions. We serve Baltimore, Chevy Chase, Montgomery County, Clarksville, Howard County, Ellicott City, Kingsville, Bowie, Pasadena, Towson, and many other areas throughout Maryland.